Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Norfolk

i'm not even ranking Norfolk
i would cry if I had to live/work there
more on that later...

on my way to Norfolk, i passed this junkyard
now, hold on people, lemme explain
it was pre-noon, ya know that unfiltered, not-yet-garish, white kinda sunshine
and you can't see it well on here, but
all the different colors and chrome of the smashed cars were glinting in that light
and it was so pretty and colorful
it looks all brown and gray and blah on here, but in real life it was really cool-lookin'

This is outside Williamsburg, near William & Mary
I tried to go see the actual colonial part, but there wasn't any parking...

back roads (temporarily lost again...)
marshy swampiness
very creepy, but I think this is near where that couple drowned in their car
which means I drove by them
that makes my stomach turn
this is Norfolk
you may say, yayyy water
i say, pppbbbthhh on that
maybe it reminded me of Tampa
and pppbbbthhh on that
i don't know why i applied here
a port city is a port city
here's a rich person on their sailboat
the concrete bridges and ships in port and dirty, steel-ish colors and even the sailboats and waterfront houses
detested by association
i wanted to turn around before I even arrived

ooh a tunnel...
inside the tunnel...
light at the end of the tunnel...
out of the tunnel...
I know that was lame, shutup

they put us up in a bed and breakfast
these are the homes across the street
cute yes, but do not be fooled
two streets down are abandoned buildings, broken windows, struggling businesses, bars on the doors, 5-6-7year olds walking alone, men sleeping in the park
there was such a stark contrast between the rich and the poor in this city
I hated it
this is the bed and breakfast

sounds nice, but!
it was sooooo creepy inside...
very dark
I was on the third floor (there were four)
the stairs and hardwood floors were creaky
I kept expecting the furniture to move
or the eyes in the old photographs to follow me
and for that quaint touch, their relative's headstone on the back patio

my room

strangest of all...the shower
a round clawfoot tub in the center of the room
a dark green shower curtain encircling the tub
when the shower curtain was closed, it was totally dark and claustrophobic

so, I watched Dark Heart/Iron Hand, about murders and how they were solved
totally made sense to watch that while creeped out in a potentially haunted house

Chrysler Museum of Art

this was in front of another hospital on the way out of town...

i won't even talk about the interviews or the program or the children's hospital
I wanted to get out of town asap

No comments: